Friday, August 26, 2011

Indian-Style Chicken with Crushed Tomatoes

My garden is overflowing with cherry tomatoes right now, and many of them needed to be used within the next day or so. So, I decided to try something experimental tonight for dinner, and my oldest child ate three servings of chicken! I was expecting to have some leftovers for lunch tomorrow. Not so!


I'm not an expert in Indian food, but what I've tried, I have enjoyed. I also happened to have 5 chicken drumsticks in my deep freeze. I set out to cook with very little plan and here's what happened!

I took all the ripe cherry tomatoes I had and diced them into eighths. It ended up being about 2 cups. You could easily use a can of diced tomatoes (around 14.5 ounces or so) instead. I used the meat of 5 chicken drumsticks, but it would work well with white meat as well.

Here's what it turned into!


***Indian-Style Chicken with Crushed Tomatoes
2 cups diced cherry tomatoes, or 1 can diced tomatoes (14.5 ounces)
5-6 chicken drumsticks, with meat cut into bite-size pieces (or 1-2 chicken breasts)
1/2 onion, chopped
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 cup water
4 cups cooked rice (2 cups uncooked, cooked per package directions)
oil for cooking chicken

Cut cherry tomatoes into fourths or eighths. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. In small amount of oil, cook chicken until no longer pink. Add 1/2 cup water, chopped onion, and diced cherry tomatoes. Cook until tomatoes start to break apart. With spoon, crush tomatoes until a red sauce forms. Add in cumin, ginger, salt, nutmeg, pepper, and ground cinnamon. Cook until sauce thickens slightly. Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment