Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Vacation Bible School: A Gluten-Free Challenge!

Our church is doing Vacation Bible School this week, and as part of our outreach to the community, we are offering a meal right when Bible School starts. Last night there were sandwiches (cut into fourths) that were either cheese sandwiches, jelly sandwiches, or lunchmeat sandwiches. There were shredded carrot pieces, pretzel sticks, cookies and juice. I knew ahead of time that this was the menu being served, and so I knew that for the week I would have to plan to bring my own meal with me. So, my challenge has two parts: 1) to bring something that will fill me up and give me the energy to lead the music and skits for almost 70 kids, and 2) something that wouldn't make other people eating around me jealous that my food was different.

Gotta love eating gluten-free at a big community meal.

So, last night I made a turkey sandwich on Udi's gluten-free bread. If you've never had Udi's bread, go get some. It will change your gluten-free life. I know that if I'm going out of town or to visit someone who won't be cooking gluten-free, I can bring along some Udi's bread and be just fine.

I also packed some yellow raisins, and some "Sticks and Twigs" by the company with perhaps the best name I've ever read: Mary's Gone Crackers. The "Sticks and Twigs" were a taste sensation, to say the least, so I will have to do a product review of them a bit later on.

I also toted along my Camelbak full of water. I never leave home without it.

Tonight I will make myself another sandwich, and bring along some Food Should Taste Good chips.

What kinds of things do you bring with you when you know you are going somewhere that won't have gluten-free food? What are your go-to snacks? I'll keep you posted on how the rest of Vacation Bible School goes and what kinds of food I decided to throw in my re-usable lunch bag. Should be an adventure!

As a side note, I also noticed that one other helper was unable to eat with everone else. She is vegetarian and lactose intolerant. Next year I want to do something that can make those with food allergies still feel welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment