Monday, November 21, 2011

What's on the menu? Our gluten-free Thanksgiving menu

Hard to believe Thanksgiving is just three days away.

It is amazing to me the difference between this Thanksgiving and last. Last year, I realized in October that most of my favorite Thanksgiving foods were off-limits. No more Stove Top stuffing. No more green bean casserole. No gravy. No Parkerhouse rolls like Grandma always made. I felt like someone told me I had to sit at the table at Thanksgiving but wouldn't be allowed to eat anything. Perhaps you have felt that way before.

I spent that month before my first GF Thanksgiving looking up recipes on countless gluten-free blogs, experimenting in the kitchen, and having to eat all the successes and toss all the fails. In the end, I had a nice meal with my family. There were a few favorites I couldn't replicate, but we did pretty well.

Yesterday I tried to make GF Parkerhouse rolls. They aren't totally perfect, but they tasted great. I stuck these in the freezer so I won't have to deal with it on Thanksgiving Day.


If you are feeling overwhelmed as you approach the holidays and need to eat gluten-free, I want to tell you that it really does get easier. This year feels so much less stressful than last year. I'm super excited about my menu. Can't wait to try everything! Here's what we're doing:

Turkey (I tried to convince my family to let me try something new and they said no - boo!)
Homemade Stuffing in a Roasted Winter Squash
Crockpot Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
The Husband's Baked Beans
Parkerhouse Rolls - they aren't perfect, but I'm getting there!
Mini Crustless Pumpkin Pie Turkeys
Cranberry Soda

So, what are you having at your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment