Thursday, April 7, 2011

Writing a Story from a Magazine Picture


This month's writing challenge was to choose a picture from a magazine and write a story to go with it. I had just taken all my magazines to recycling - all except two Woman's Day magazines (which we actually subscribe to because my husband enjoys the articles on organization, and he likes to point out new recipes for me to make). In those two magazines, I only found two interesting pictures for story-writing. Here's the story that emerged from this Febreze ad:



Slowly, deliberately, I raise my arm in front of me. Clutched in my hands is the only weapon that assures victory. Its bright purple nozzle brings hope that someday soon the particles of germ infestation will no longer have the upper hand. As I'm walking around the cluttered room, I hear a noise that alerts me to the beginning of the battle.


Ah - Ah - Ah - Choo! A small sneeze that contaminates a blue pillow nearby.


Instinctively, my finger pulls the trigger on my weapon. Without delay, a fragrant rush of antimicrobial solution meets the rush of bacteria on the surface of the pillow. I watch a white flag raise over the pillow and I know that victory is mine - at least in this small corner of the room.


Moment by moment I am assaulted by coughs, sneezes, and discarded facial tissues. With each attack I counter, and white flags are hoisted high all over the room. I cannot say for sure how long the battle lasts, but just as I feel too weary to continue, silence envelopes the room. I have emerged victorious!


My husband looks at me blankly. I think perhaps he is surprised by what he hears. Then I smile at him and say coyly, "THAT is what I do all day!"

No comments:

Post a Comment